Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lessons Learned


As I wrote my last entry, I put down that I had been in business for 3 years. Well, it was pointed out to me that it has been 4 years, not 3.  As a matter of fact, it has been 4 years. Time flies when you are trying to grow a business! 4 years of my life has run screaming by and have I sure learned lots.  It take about 4 years to get a college degree and it takes about 4 years to learn what you are doing in a new business. I now feel like I am in somewhat in control of my destiny and that The Urban Liaison Magazine is gaining momentum. But there are always moments that shake your foundation.
In the last couple of weeks, one of my Marketing Representatives was given the task to meet with a group of people about the magazine. During the meeting, one person was rather rude about the magazine. Nothing positive was stated about my business and about my livelihood. They didn’t like the layout, or the look or the concept and didn’t know why I even produced it. Needless to say, I was not very happy about hearing what transpired.
I wanted to go to that person and defend myself. I was so mad and upset and felt disrespected. I stopped myself, thank goodness.  I am glad that I didn’t react, instead I have thought about for a while now, and here is what I have surmised from this unprofessional person.
No matter how hard you try, there is always going to be someone that you can’t please. No matter what you do, and how much you prove yourself, you will not meet their expectations.  At some point you have to step away and move on.  One of my favorite books, The Four Agreements, says that you should not take anything personally. Not good or bad. Take nothing personally and always do your personal best. That way, inside of yourself, you know that you are doing what you should be doing.
Another lesson I learned from this experience is that I need to push my mission and vision with the magazine harder and make it very clear. For 4 years, I have been a leader in the Local Movement. Shop local and support local and be local is the vision and the mission on the UL magazine. From the beginning, this was the reason why I created the publication. Please help our small business, that is where my heart is and where is will always be.
So I am working on, not taking anything personal and I am shouting my mission. In a way, I am grateful for the rude person. I am more mindful with my words,  I have no plans to be rude with my words, when it can affect a person’s livelihood and it made me work ever harder, to make my magazine be the best it can be. 
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment